Welcome to the New Relay App!
Note: Please check that your app is updated to at least version 1.14.
Previous app versions do not have the new features.
The Relay App is designed to be the companion of the Relay device. It allows users to activate Relay(s), manage channels, update Relay(s), learn about their Relay(s), or get help when you need it. This article dives into the breakdown of the App and description of everything you see. Let's begin with the main screen as soon as you open the app!
- Communication -
The Microphone icon, located in the bottom center section of the app, allows you to send and receive messages from other Relay users in both direct chats and group chats.
- Tap and hold on the Microphone icon to initiate communication
- As you begin talking, the icon will pulse green, indicating it is now using the microphone.
The Relay App is designed to receive real-time messages while it is OPEN if you are in the same chat at the time the message is received. When you leave the app, real-time messages will play in the background as long as it is within 60 seconds.
When you have been inactive beyond 60 seconds, you'll receive an activity alert by a push notification on your phone.
FYI: You can adjust background audio and group activity alerts in the 'Settings' section of the Relay App if you do not want either of these features.
- Direct Chats -
Direct Chat: Automatically provides a one-on-one communication experience with member(s) of your account right within the Relay app. Within Direct Chats, you also have the option to view and playback missed messages!
- To learn more about Missed Messages, check out these new articles:
Missed Messages on the Relay App and Missed Messages on the Relay device
Need to locate the Relay that you're communicating with? No problem! Towards the bottom left of the Microphone Icon, you'll find a Map Icon!
- Track Location -
View the current and past locations of the Relay via GPS location using Maps right from your device. Have a peace of mind knowing where your Relays are located and how to find them!
- Tap on the Map icon located on the bottom just to left of the microphone icon to provide a holistic map view of your Relays.
- Tap on a specific Relay device you wish to track which is located in the middle just above the microphone icon.
After selecting the individual Relay, you'll see the detailed address information of the latest locations.
From here, you have additional features such as:
- Manually refreshing the data, in order to receive/view the most recent GPS location.
- Ability to transfer GPS location to an available app in Android/iOS, that prompts directions to locate the Relay.
FYI: By default, Location is automatically 'disabled'. To take full advantage of Tracking Location, ensure this feature is enabled by tapping on the Relay in the device list.
Found your Relay(s)?! Awesome! Let's navigate you back to the home screen to find more information on specific Relay(s) on your account! Tap on the back arrow located at the top left corner of the screen.
- Devices -
On the home screen, you can find additional information and specific settings of each Relay by simply tapping on the icon for the Relay
- Location - Toggle this off/on for GPS Tracking.
- Relay SOS - Send an SOS alert to an Account Owner's email, and every Virtual Relay app will have a banner notification appear.
- Channels - Manage channels being used.
- WiFi Network - Change the WiFi network and view status of WiFi coverage.
- Cell Network - Understand cell coverage in your area by reviewing Cell Network or navigate through different cell settings.
- Change Name - Spruce up your Relay with it's own name!
- Send Diagnostics - Support Team will ask for diagnostics if you are experiencing any issues!
Scroll through this list for more:
- Check for Updates - See if your Relay has a new software version!
- Battery Status - See the Battery percentage and if the Relay is charging or discharging.
- About - Find out the current device version your Relay is on.
Now that we have found out how to locate more information on the Relay, let's start communicating with those friends and family by creating Group Chats! To return to the home screen, tap on the home icon located at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Group Chats -
Group Chats are how you can communicate with friends and family, customize who will receive the messages, and so on!
From here you can create new Group Chats, and add or edit members!
- Tap on the '+' icon to Create a new Group Chat!
- Tap on the Group Chat Name, then 'Add or Edit members' to make changes.
Everyone Group Chat: is a default ‘main’ chat that allows all users on your account to communicate with one another.
FYI: The Everyone Group Chat trumps all chats and channels. If you use the Everyone Group Chat all account members will be pulled into that chat at that time despite whichever chat or channel their Relay or App was in previously.
Now that you're all set with Group Chats, how about those fun Interactive Channels? After adding them to your Relay, you'll be ready to explore all of the great benefits that Relay has to offer. To return to the home screen, tap on the back arrow located at the top left corner of the screen.
- Channels -
Exploring all of the different channels is right at your fingertips! (literally..) Are you Ready to Translate your speech to another language? Maybe you’re ready to hear a Daily Joke to bring laughter into your day.. find a brief description of each channel here:
- Echo channel: This is a private playback channel that repeats anything you say back to you in a faster or slower tone!
- Instant Chat channel: This channel is a temporary chat that instantly connects Relays on other accounts. All you have to do is bump the backs of Relays together! Since this is a temporary chat, when you leave the channel, it will reset.
- Music channel: This channel plays music that has been locally stored onto the Relay. You can navigate through awesome tunes by pressing the talk button!
- Translate channel: Want to learn Spanish? This channel has multiple languages to translate to and from!
- Daily Joke: By pressing the talk button while on this channel, you’ll hear funny jokes!
And lastly, on the home screen to the far right of the Microphone Icon, you'll find a gear icon which shows General Settings, Account and Additional Settings.
- News & Updates -
Stay up-to-date with Relays latest releases, helpful tips to use Relay, and additional feature releases that could be coming soon!
- Tap on the Bell Icon to the right of the microphone icon, to view the latest news & updates!
As new updates are pushed, there will be a magenta badge icon over the bell that indicates there's new information coming your way!
- Settings -
We've included a 'Settings' section of our app to allow additional modifications to certain settings, or find information pertaining to the Relay App/Relay device.
- Tap on the Gear Icon on the bottom right corner of the app!
Quick description of each section under 'Settings':
- Channels - Lists current chats & channels you have enabled on your Virtual Relay
- Change Name - Rename your Virtual Relay!
- Send Diagnostics - Upload diagnostics to a Support Team Member.
- Notification Settings - Includes 'Channel Activity' for your Relay. Toggle smart notifications 'on' to stay notified after 60 seconds of inactivity. Great for staying in the loop!
- Audio Settings - We offer the option to 'Keep Relay running in the background' for 60 seconds, as mentioned above. Navigate here to toggle this off/on.
- Activate a Relay - Follow these prompts to activate more than one Relay to your account.
- Sign out - Sign out of your Relay account.
- Referrals - Learn more about our Referral program and share your link to gain awesome Relay swag!
FYI: To exit the 'Settings' page, tap on the home icon located on the bottom left corner of the screen to return to the home screen!
Join the Neighborhood!
The official place to discuss any and all topics related to Relay. We want you to get to know your neighbors, learn ways to connect with your loved ones, work with staff and fellow neighbors to problem-solve, and give feedback on ways to improve Relay. Go on and explore the Neighborhood!
Still have questions? Ask Support!
Need help with your Relay?
Chat with our support agents online or within your Relay app once you've created an account.
In the App, tap on the question mark in the upper right corner of the screen. Or, sign in here using an internet browser.
- Once signed in, a widget will appear with a friendly greeting. Here's where you can begin a conversation with us.
- Our widget will also contain information such as 'System Status', Helpful Articles, and more!
Drop a line. Email us anytime!
Can't sign in? Send an email to email@example.com to get help and answers from our support agents.